Hybrid Paddy Cultivation
In the quest of increasing the productivity of staple food crops, in line with Government of India’s thinking, Ballygunge Society for Environment & Development (BSED) in technical collaboration with Indofil Industries Limited (IIL) conducted the “seed to seed” demonstration in the adopted village of Purba Gopinathpur, Hooghly.
Objectives of the Project
- To spread the concept of modern technique of cultivation for higher yield with minimal use of natural resources.
- To propagate the concept of Good Agriculture Practices (GAP) for sustainable cultivation
- To promote IPM & INM concept
- To promote Safe & Judicious use of Agrochemicals
- To extend ‘ Lab to land’ program incorporating Agriculture University, Dept of agriculture & Agril Input companies to farmers field
- Imparting training for disseminating new technologies to the farmers
Selection of 1 bigha each for Hybrid , HYV with IIL GAP & 1 bigha with Farmers practice as control plot.
Farmer: Sachidananda Dhara , Village: Nalikul , Post Kinkarbati , Hooghly
Time: Boro season 2012 (Jan 2012-April 2012)
Variety: Hybrid (Arize 6444 of Bayer) , HYV : Pratiksha
Soil testing in collaboration of Dept of Agriculture to arrive at the base level of nutrients present and thereby judicious application of nutrients as per recommendations.
Seed Bed Activities
- Seed Rate : 6Kg/Acre (In case of OPV/HYV- the Seed rate is 25-30 Kg/Acre)
- 240 Sq.metre nursery area for raising Nursery of 6 Kg.
- Nursery bed well puddled, leveled, well drained weed free.
- Fertilizer – 1.6 Kg Urea,3 Kg DAP and 2 Kg MOP as basal dose for seed bed prepared for 6 Kg.
- Pre-germination by Soaking it for 18-24 hours in water.
- incubating in warm moist condition for 36-40 hours until it germinates
- Broadcasted pre-germinated seed on well puddled and drained beds at the rate of 1 Kg seed per 40 Sq. metre.
- The beds were kept moist, for the first few days by irrigating frequently.
- Do not flood the beds.
- To check the damage by the birds, broadcast a thin layer of well-decomposed farmyard manure immediately after broadcasting rice seed.
- Top-dress the nursery beds with 1.6 Kg Urea / 120 Sq Meter twice, at 12 & 20 days after sowing.
- Two rounds of pesticide application (One insecticide & One fungicide)
35 – 40 Days after sowing or 4-5 Leaf stage
Row to Row : 20 cms
Plant to Plant :15 cms
One healthy Seedling per hill
|Time of Application||Quantity in Kg / acre|
|Basal||15||50||30||08 -10 Kg|
|3 weeks after transplanting||35||~||~||~|
|6 weeks after transplanting||35||~||30||~|
As per IIL schedule
Two crop seminars with Scientists from BCKV & experts from IIL with around 150 farmers to elaborate the process & necessity amongst the farmers. Besides, group meetings on periodic basis with the farmers also helped to propagate the concept of GAP.
Yield & Return
|Crops||Local||IIL GAP||Advanta||Dhani(IIL GAP)|
The result created much hue and cry amongst the farmers who were interested in replicating the process in future seasons.